Tuesday 3 April 2012

Tea for two and two thousand for tea?

I got to thinking, as I crouched, staring at the little pieces of leaf in my tea bag as the water slowly found them, turning them darker colours.  I thought about the energy of the people who harvested the tea, and wondered about how they felt in their day.  I silently thanked them.


I took notice of the fabric the tea was wrapped in, the string, the paper label with its printing.  How many people were involved in the journey of this tea, destined to flavourfully hydrate me as I write this?  Such a seemingly insignificant piece of my day, yet it must have involved hundreds of people to come to fruition.


As a starting point, there's the land the tea is grown on and its owner.  I'm sure there's a great story just to get to that starting point involving families, and governments.  The seeds likely have their own lineage of people involved in their rearing. Then there are the harvesters, transporters, exporters, importers and shippers.  
I don't know what the tea bag is made from, but I bet it came from a plant that was harvested and spun into fabric, along with the string.  The paper label involved loggers and millers, etc.
The logo was printed with ink that has its own history, along with the myriad of people involved in the company selling the tea.  It goes on and on.


Growing. Packaging.  Transporting. 
Ideas.  Lives.  Purpose.


What a wonder it is, this world we live in.  A network of souls going through their days, each to their own purpose.  Woven together like the loose fabric of the tea bag.  Loose enough that all of the little pieces are visible, yet tight enough that they stay together.


Everything around you is connected to another in some way.  I'm talking about physical, direct connection here.  We haven't even ventured in to the metaphysical "we are all one".


So when thinking about your impact on the world, one perspective is to think about just how many people you're truly connected to and whose lives you've affected, even in a small way.  Simply from the things you choose to have around you.  


Have a blessed day everyone.  Namasté.

No comments:

Post a Comment